The practice was established by Denis Hoare in the early 1920's. In addition to Denis Hoare, the early partners of the practice were Basil Taylor and Bill Quirk and the practice operated under the name of Hoare Taylor and Quirk for the next 50 years.
The following 50 years was a period of mergers and acquisitions that was quite common over the whole industry during this period, especially in the turbulent 1980's.
- 1970 the practice amalgamated with JB Neale and Son and the practice had its first name change to Quirk Neal & Co.
- 1978 the practice commenced an informal association with a national accounting practice which was operating under the name of Cox Arcus.
- 1979 merger with Young and Holland & Associates.
- 1981 merger with Wilkinson & Wilkinson, practising nationally under the name of Kendons.
- 1982 affiliation with KMG an international accounting firm.
- 1986 amalgamated with Stowell & Vile.
- The practice's national and international accounting affiliations were not to last long due to the significant changes taking place in the international and national accounting profession around that time and the jostling for positions by the then big eight accounting practices in New Zealand.
- In the late 1980's the practice withdrew from its national and international associations and went back to operating as an independent Christchurch accounting practice with a change of name to Kendons Canterbury.
- 1988 the practice acquired Purcell Treacy & Co.
- 1997 the practice shifted to Blenheim Road from the CBD and it has continued to operate from this location ever since.
- 2001 the practice merged with Scott Macdonald.
- 2006 Kendons Scott Macdonald operates under the trading name of Kendons.